Tuesday 8 August 2017

Starting next project with another project in sight

My current project, which I have just started, is to begin painting up some of the Spencer Smith Napoleonic plastic miniatures I gained as part of a swap earlier in the year. Looking at pictures on the Spencer Smith website the miniatures appear to be a combination of French, Austrian and Russian troops. The good news is if I am short of any miniatures I will be able to buy additional metal ones.

Anyway, over the weekend I started painting them and finished two units. My painting approach is the same as my 19th century imagi-nations armies, quick and simple painting with a shinny finish to hide many of my painting flaws, and give them a toy soldier look.

French infantry 
Russian infantry
A possible distraction I have to this project began when I popped into my local arts and crafts shop to get some more brushes. They often stock a small range of Airfix model kits, and there on the self were two boxes of Airfix WW2 Japanese, which I have not seen for a very long time.

I have always had in the back of my mind the idea to get some miniatures for a small WW2 Burma game. I have a copy of Crossfire rules which require a lot of cover for a good game, and they would seem to be quite suited for a WW2 Burma game.

Taking this opportunity I bought them both and was able to get some more WW2 kits from other model shops. I am now in the position where I have two projects on the go at one time. This is something I generally try to avoid as I like to for the most part focus on one project and get it finished and on the table for a game.

Recent purchases 
Rules

11 comments:

  1. Starting a new project is always exciting! I look forward to following your PTO project as well.

    Your comment about gloss coating hiding painting imperfections is an interesting one. Have you ever conducted a side-by-side comparison to measure the actual differences? That might be an interesting experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first started my 19th century project I used a matt sealer and after a couple of units switched to a gloss sealer (PVA glue) because I was having a problem with the type of matt sealer I used. After the switch I felt they looked better and more like toy soldiers a look I quite like at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Those Napoleonic units look great: simple, utilitarian and accessible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and they are quite fun to paint which always helps.

      Delete
  3. Only two projects :-)

    I came across the 1/72 Airfix Waterloo farmhouse set the other day. I quite fancy the farmhouse, but from memory, the Airfix cavalry would never attach to their bases and I used to have a large pin go up through the base and into the horse ... I have got a bit past that these days, still fancy that farmhouse though.

    A lot of gamers seem to be going for plastic aquarium plants as Scenics to go with their WWII Japanese games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there was a lot of frustration when it came to attaching Airfix cavalry to their stands. I never had the farmhouse, but I did get the Foreign Legion fort for one of my birthdays, which I thought was a wonderful kit.
      Thanks for the tip on terrain. There is a large pet shop near where I work, so I think a lunch time trip is in order.

      Delete
  4. Can you post a painting tutorial for this painting style? What type of paint and finish do you use?
    If you have already posted one, can you post the link again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure - when I start my next batch I will take some more photos as I go.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your Jungle adventures. There are some Asian jungles aquarium ornaments around in pet shops and the delicate Airfix jungle outpost bamboo building still around in shops and eBay
    https://manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/23/waterproof-garden-games-terrain/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I was able to get something similar from the artificial flowers section of a craft shop. I will be trying out this weekend.

      Delete